William Winstone – it’s where it all began.
The origins of Winstone Glass started yonks ago with William Winstone. He was born in Barron Gurney, Somerset, in 1843, the son of a farmer. He sailed to New Zealand on the Spray of the Ocean, arriving at Auckland in September 1859 with only 30 shillings (which he shared with a shipmate) and took whatever work he could get – mainly farm labouring.
By 1864, just five years after his arrival in New Zealand, he had enough savings to buy his own horse and cart. He began a one-man business as a ‘coal merchant and carrier’ on the waterfront and streets of Auckland. Initially, he seems to have secured coal supplies from the Waikato region through his military connections; this became an important part of his business – and from there we’ve grown to what we are today; a leading glass installation and repair company.
|1985||Winstone Ltd merged the operations of Odlins Glass and Auckland Glass under the Winstone Glass name, becoming a national chain|
|1988||The Winstone Group, having been acquired by Brierley Investments, was sold to Fletcher Challenge Ltd|
|1989||Winstone Glass was sold by Fletcher Challenge to Pilkington NZ Ltd|
|1996||Winstone Glass was merged with the trading activities of Smith & Smith Glass (also owned by Pilkington), and traded under the S&S brand|
|1999||Winstone Glass relaunched in Auckland with three branches, and sought other branches and territories|
|2004||Winstone Glass relaunched the Winstone Autoglass arm of the company.|
|2005||Winstone Glass purchased Autoglass, Anzium and Pacific Windscreen companies to enlarge their Winstone Autoglass division.|
|Today||Winstone Glass operates from multiple branches and authorised agents located throughout New Zealand.|